March 18, 2011

Sleeping Free

(Ella & Mommy 3/12/11)
We have started the endeavor of having Ella sleep unswaddled & arms free. Preemie’s especially like to be swaddled because it makes them feel like they are tight in the womb. They can have reflexes while sleeping where their arms go up and it wakes them up. But this little preemie is outgrowing her sleep/swaddle sack and they do not come any bigger!
It was totally heartbreaking (for me) having to let her cry herself to sleep. She is at the age where if her needs are met (she is fed and has a clean diaper) you are supposed to let them cry. She cried for 45 minutes and I watched her on the monitor the whole time. I wanted to cry myself. Then she finally fell asleep and only woke up once for a pacifier the whole night. It’s cute she is now a belly sleeper like me :) So last night (night 2) she cried for about 30 minutes and then fell asleep and slept until 6am! Success!!
So hopefully every night she will cry a little less... because Mommy cannot go to sleep until I know she is content and sleeping soundly. Daddy on the other hand can fall asleep with her screaming in the other room! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment